Thursday, 21 March 2013

RF breakout boards

In my ongoing compulsion to connect things to other things, I did not want to be locked in with a design to one RF solution.
There are a few minimalist options available now. The Hope-RF RFM12 is a favorite, the newer Hope-RF RFM70 or 73 and not forgetting Sparkfun with the Nordic nRF24L01 solutions

I wanted to use the sparkfun SIL footprint as my 'fit-all' footprint.  and make small breakout boards so that I could use any of the 3 options as a plug-in.
The breakouts need space for an on-board regulator to enable use with 3.3V or 5V. Dont fit the reg for 3,3V, cut a track and fit the reg for 5V. The RFM12 also needs spaces for some resistors if used with 5V. Its inputs are not 5V tolerant.

This is the first version I came up with. Its before I decided to use the Sparkfun footprint as the model.
New version will use the Sparkfun footprint.

I dont need to solder the RF board on to the 'main' board, its just a plug-in, fit if required. One footprint does all.
The Sparkfun versions are available pretty much everywhere and now I have options to use RFM12's in the same socket or the RFM70.


RFM70 and RFM12

front







back










 The Sparkfun version.

This is what the new versions will adhere to.

No comments:

Post a Comment